Friday, May 18, 2007

Protection

After a wonderful week for my kids, full of great achievements I should have known the other shoe would drop. Just 2 days ago Miss 13 won the Student of the Month Award at the Middle School. After school last night she came to me in tears. Her name has apparently been on a list of students that a group of boys want to "knife." We have done all the appropriate things: called the principal, the counselor, etc. We just wanted to be able to send her off to school this morning with a secure feeling. The adults are aware of the situation. They have done all they can. I don't think she felt any worse about the situation, but I am not sure she felt any better either.
Mr. 17 came to me last night as well. He has always been moody, always been a little emotional. Apparently he has been talking to the counselor at school this week. She brought in someone from the Human Services department. They think he is suffering from some depression and needs to see a psychaitrist. I spent the morning getting referrals for him, and setting up an appointment. The soonest he can get in is 3 weeks away. Why didn't I see this? Why did I think this was normal teen angst and not something more serious?
Protection... a parent's job. At the moment I don't feel like I am very good at it.

No comments: