Sunday, August 17, 2008

Here We Go!!

The first of the many series of parent meetings that I will need to attend started today. I had a swimming parent meeting with Miss 15. Official practice starts tomorrow; captains practices were all this week. (There you go La Reveuse, a semi colon... just for you.. heh!) Miss 10 had to go along because there was no one home to stay with her and I didn't know how long the meeting would last. She was not happy with that plan, and let me know in many ways during the meeting. Not that I blame her at all, we were in a small room with no air conditioning and it was 94 degrees outside, there were at least 70 people in the room and not seating for everyone. What fun!

Over the course of a school year I attend many different parent meetings: for band, for CCD, for Miss 10's parochial school, for high school swimming, for USA swimming, etc. The list is endless. However at each meeting I am always astonished at how few parents actually bother to attend. Not that I make every meeting I am supposed to be at, but I make every effort possible. Hubby and I have even split up events when the scheduling is to close for me to make both, or when I've had it with meetings and just send Hubby to one, but I try not to do that very often. There's a reason I'm a stay at home mom, so I can do the meetings and volunteerings that are necessary with three children.

As I was saying, it's shocking to me how few parents attend the meetings, and it's always the same parents at each meeting. Then when something isn't to their liking, it's the parents who weren't at the meetings that are the first to complain. Logic, it's baffling isn't it?

So today was the unofficial start to the school year for us. Now that swim season has officially gotten under way, along with 3 day a week 5:45 a.m. practices on top of regular practices, for the ENTIRE season (sigh!) we have jumped on the wheel and started spinning once again. It's always an exciting time, and in some ways I love the scheduling and routine of it all. I know what day is what and when to get everyone into bed and when to get them up. It's more relaxing in some ways to have that routine established. But oh how I am going to miss the spontaneity of summer vacation, and the less stressed out Miss 10 without homework. Welcome to the school year family!

No comments: