Wednesday, July 9, 2008

He Runs, He Swims, He Bikes

He collapses! Well, at least I would, if it was me. Mr 18 has been training for a triathlon. In fact we leave in 2 days to go watch him compete. This triathlon is a 1k swim, a 20k bike and a 5k run. The swim part shouldn't be too difficult for him, except that it is in a lake, and not a pool. The boy despises swimming in a lake. The run will be easy as well, he's has been running most morning with his friends from the high school cross country team. Sometimes I think he could run a 5k in his sleep. The biking is another story. We don't own a road bike, he's only ridden one 4 or 5 times, and he has to borrow one for the event. We have to head out at 5:30 a.m. to get him to the location for the race. It will be darn chilly to be in lake water at that hour of the day! Glad I'll be on the sidelines with my camera, a sweatshirt and hopefully a cup of coffee.

In some ways I'm looking forward to seeing him compete again, but in other ways it just makes me nervous. I know he hasn't had the time (or too much inclination) to train the way he needed to for this event. I feel bad that he doesn't have a bike to train on (they are $800 minimum and I have college to pay for) plus, it's darn early in the morning and I am not a morning person. I'll cross all my fingers and toes that he does well. Dealing with him when he hasn't done what he thinks he can is not fun in any manner.

I'll post photos and blog about it (if I can hold the camera up at that hour of the morning) in a few days. Wish him luck!

No comments: