Friday, November 6, 2009

Growing Up

When they were little I stepped all over Lego's that littered the floor.
Now, I trip over dirty towels on his bedroom floor and random socks littering wherever he drops them.

When they were little I picked up little pieces of Polly Pockets that covered each bedroom. (otherwise the cat eats them and hacks them up!)
Now, I pick up headbands and pony tail holders left wherever they are taken from their hair.

When they were little I poured them bubble baths and dumped in a mountain of toys.
Now, I'm barely allowed in the bathroom when they are showering unless they need a razor, a new bottle of shampoo or a bar of soap.

When they were little I got hugs and kisses before bed, along with begging for one more story.
Now, I'm lucky if I get a "Good night, Mom" from the older two, so I cherish the hugs, kisses and random rambling that I get from Miss 11.

When they were little I scrubbed stains out of underwear, grass stains out of knees and spaghetti sauce stains out of tshirts.
Now, all of their bathroom towels are have bleached handstains where they've neglected to wash their acne medication from their fingers before touching them.

When they were little playing a game with Hubby and I was fun on a Friday night.
Now, I beg for 15 minutes of their time before they head out with their friends.

When they were little a kiss from Mom cured all their woes.
Now, a kiss from them, might cure mine.

2 comments:

Jensamom23 said...

Beautifully written. Straight from a Mom's heart.

jo said...

Well done. Tears for all Moms. A voice for the ages.