Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What Not in 2009

Instead of making resolutions (yes, I know I'm late!) I decided on a few things I am going to try hard not to do in 2009.

1. I am not going to take it personally when one or all of my children are incredibly crabby. It's not my fault. (repeat as needed)

2. I am not going to berate myself for not looking like I did the day I got married. (well, I'm going to try not to do this, it's not easy!)

3. I am not going to stress over every little detail in our lives. There are things I can't control, I am not going to try and control them. (As someone used to tell me repeatedly, "let go, just let go." It hasn't worked so far...)

4. I am not going to make myself sick with nerves when Miss 15 is swimming and I'm worrying about her heart. She can handle herself.

5. I am not going to feel like a worthless parent when Miss 10 struggles with her school work, we do the best we can, anyone who knows us knows how hard we work.

6. I am not taking it personally when Mr 19 refuses to go to church with us anymore. I am not assuming he will never go again, it's just a phase. Right??

7. I am not letting guilt be a reason for me to do things that I don't want or need to.

8. I am not running away to join the circus. The clowns scare me, seriously.

9. I am not joining a rock band and going out on a world tour. My ears will thank me.

10. I am not going to eat anything I don't like just because it's good for me. There are many options, why eat something gross?

11. I am (most definitely) not going to encourage my husband to attend his 25th high school reunion.


So, there are my nots. There are a lot more, but I'm tired of saying not, and now it looks wrong when I type it out. I hate it when that happens!

Let me know what your nots are, put them in the comments, or put them on your blog and leave me the link.

Happy 2009 everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent plan. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

2. You are still beautiful and look great! You look better than most 20 year olds, so stop it! There's little you can do to change it anyways. I finally let this one go at age 40-1/2. (I don't know why it took me an extra 1/2 year, but I've been late for everything in my life so, go figure!) I look back at those younger me pictures and just remember that I wasn't happy with the way I looked then - and as I recall, you weren't either. And dammit, we looked good! My resolution this year is to focus on being healthy rather than on losing weight. So far it's working pretty well, since it's moved me away from that berating inner script that ran my life for so many years. I've quit eating all of the low-fat and nonfat foods that have all the nutrition sucked out of them along with the calories, and I'm choosing healthy less processed foods (most of the time) and exercising 3-4 times a week. I think I've finally discovered moderation! I figure if I do this, my weight will eventually land where it should be - so I'm staying off of the scale.
BTW, if you're looking for more pluses to living in ND, add good skin to the list. Practically everyone I've met out here has crows feet by age 30. AZ was even worse. People comment on my good skin all the time and I think ""you've gotta be kidding?"", especially after seeing pics of so many of my former classmates who are still in ND. You all have gorgeous skin! I have these stupid sun spots on my face that nothing will get rid of - and I don't think most women back home usually got them until 50s or 60s.
Sorry this is so long! It's become a blog post in itself rather than just a comment."
8. I don't think I've ever met anyone who thought clowns were cute or funny. Why are they still around?!